Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Christians Journey

Greetings, My Friends;
Many years ago a man named John Bunyan wrote a book called Pilgrim's progress. It is about a man called Christian and his journey from his hometown to Celestial City. It really is the story of faith. He encounters all kinds of diversions that get him off the path temporarily. He presses on and eventually makes it. I read the book, 3 or 4 times and enjoyed it so much, I wished that I had written it.
Actually, that story has many likenesses that we have heard about, and a few you may have experienced.  For instance,  the space program.  If they want to go to the moon or anywhere else,  it takes more than just  aiming a rocket. Years of study, computers, computer programs, and endless training, just for starters. It takes dedication and perseverance to make it all work. Once the rocket takes off, it goes through countless course corrections and other adjustments to reach the goal.
I remember when I was about 5 years old, and learning how to ride a 2 wheel bicycle. I didn't know anything. My dad would hang onto the seat and run alongside. He kept saying keep pedaling. As soon as he let go, I crashed. The poor guy finally gave up. Well, there I was with my bike, so I tried to ride on my own. I went 2 feet and crashed. I got up again determined to go farther. You guessed it, I crashed again. Several tries later, I guess by instinct, when I started to lose balance, I moved the handlebars. Shaky at first, but I was riding. My poor well-meaning dad neglected to tell me or show me that the crucial part of learning was to move the handlebars.  When I taught my son's how to ride, I explained it and showed them how and when to move the handlebars. They were riding. 10 min. later, and I didn't have to run alongside. They didn't have to learn the hard way that trying to go straight, will usually cause a crash. Everything requires adjustments.
A few illustrations of how life itself works.   If we aren't taught, we are in trouble. If we don't prepare for our next venture, we will crash.
There are a lot of examples like these in life. The trip can be bumpy and hazardous. If we prepare ourselves with the word of God, listen to what he is telling us, we will reach our destination. God does not tell us we won't fall, get hurt, or have problems. However, we make the journey and how long it takes is up to us and our free will. He is telling us He will be there to pick us up, sooth our pain, and get us going again. The Lord gives us all the tools, but we have to use them.
God bless you and remember,
Jesus loves you.
Prayer of salvation;

"Oh God in heaven, I believe with all of my heart that Jesus has been raised from the dead. I receive your word, and I repent of sin. I renounce the past. Come into my heart, Lord Jesus. I receive my forgiveness. I receive the new birth, cleansed and washed in the word and in the precious blood of Jesus. Fill me with your spirit, in Jesus name. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment