Sunday, July 6, 2014

Physical and Spiritual Exercise

Greetings My Friends
I suppose not too many people, including myself, ever considered the similarities between physical, and spiritual exercise.
It dawned on me a couple of weeks ago. Being retired, it is much easier to get out of shape physically. Since I don't want to fall apart, I looked for an exercise that was befitting my age, and general condition. Riding a bicycle seemed to be a good way to accomplish my goal.
I bought a nice bike, and found a scenic bike trail. We all know how boring exercise can be, so I figured I found the perfect answer. I also planned to ride as far as I could go physically, and the time of day I would go. I reasoned that I had to treat it like a job. If I didn't, I would miss for any number of reasons. This was too important to have a casual attitude.
Well day one came, and I followed my plan. I road a total of 3 miles, and my legs were really sore. The next time I went four miles, and felt like I couldn't go another 10 feet. I consoled myself with the old "no pain, no gain."
Later that day I was having my coffee and thinking about how out of shape I had become. Common excuses came to mind. Boring, no time, lazy. Then the benefits of exercise, and proper diet, seemed like a no-brainer in order to feel good, energetic, and enjoy good health, it took some effort.
At that point, that little voice in my heart, asked me if I realized the similarities with faith. Well, I started to follow the guidance. I must admit I never looked at faith and spiritual life that way.
If you ask a typical Christian if they read the Bible, you usually hear, "I don't have time, I am so busy". Asked them if they pray regularly, and a large percentage of them start making excuses. We won't even get into whether or not they ever mentioned Jesus to anyone.
If you go through life eating the wrong things, and follow a couch potato life, you will probably live anyway, but the quality of life will not be very good. More than likely your future will be plenty of doctors, depression, unable to get out and enjoy the things that people in good shape can do.
By the same token, if you don't regard your spiritual life as worthy, you will miss out on a lot. If you really are saved, heaven is probably your eventual destination. If you don't make some time for God, you can't build a real relationship with Him.
If you don't work at your faith, by reading the word of God, and putting it into practice, you are like the person that does not exercise and has a bad diet. You will probably miss out on many answered prayers. You will undoubtedly make bad decisions without Him, and run the chance of some really bad ones. Healing will probably not happen, because you don't even know that you were healed on the cross. True peace, happiness and joy only comes through God.
I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. If you value your spiritual life, your physical life will follow. In the physical you build a healthy body, in the spiritual you build a relationship with God. Both require effort, persistence, at times some discomfort, and keeping your eye on the prize. Always find time for God, and talk to Him every chance you get. If your life is so busy that you don't have time for God, you're making the biggest mistake of your life. If you have to, lose a little sleep, but put God number one.
Remember Jesus Loves You
Prayer of Salvation

Lord Jesus, I thank you for what you did on the cross for me. Your blood washed away my sins, by your stripes I was healed, and your death and resurrection brought salvation. Please forgive my sins, and come into my heart as my personal Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment