Thursday, July 17, 2014

Authority

We are told in the word, that Jesus gave us the authority to use His name, doing His works, in His absence. I think that many of us don't really get what that means. I think that I finally appreciate what that means, and how encompassing that is.
As an example, a Roman century briefly gave an idea of what authority means, when he asked Jesus to heal his servant. I have a couple examples of my own, that I give strictly to help understand what authority means in the every day world.
I've had a couple of jobs in my career that carried a lot of authority. In one job, I decided what, how much, and when our products were made in 2 manufacturing plants. I also did all of the purchasing for the company.
The second job I had was that of being in charge of a large distribution facility for a major corporation. I was responsible for everything. Production, distribution, budgets, manpower, equipment, you name it. I spoke for the company on all of these things.
Now I will go to the point. You will see why I thought of using these two stories. I had a very high level of authority, but I never really thought about it. I was given this authority, and I just exercised it with full confidence of the company backing me up. I followed the goals in the best interest of the company, but I still never really thought about it.
That brings us to Jesus, and his giving us authority to do what he did, and more in his name. There was a mandate, not a request. I think many of us, including me, had a hard time grasping what that authority involved. We are His representatives on this Earth. We are the tools He must use to accomplish His goals.
If you have a job that gives you the authority to do something, you're expected to do it. You understand that the person giving you the authority, had the authority to pass on. So it is with Jesus, only more so. He is God, not some man.
Always remember this. Authority also carries responsibility. Jesus gave us the authority, or right to use His name. He also told us what to do with it. It is our responsibility to carry out His command. Authority is useless if you don't use it. If you don't use it, it will pass to someone who will.
Jesus said it, because He meant it. He picked all of us for something, and we have to live up to His expectations.
Remember Jesus Loves You
Prayer of Salvation

Lord Jesus, I thank you for what you did on the cross for me. Your blood washed away my sins, by your stripes I was healed, your death and resurrection brought me salvation. Please forgive my sins, and come into my heart as my personal Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment