Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A Matter Of Perception

Greetings My Friends
The message today is about how we view life in general. Things change over time, and our value system with them. I will explain what I am talking about, by giving you an example from my life. Don't give up on this message yet.
I was born during World War II. We lived in an old neighborhood in Chicago, that was very ethnic. A person could live their whole life there, and never speak a word of English.
The typical family lived in four rooms, and had four or five children. The place was heated with a stove that burned coal. You got hot water by heating it up on the stove. My mother used to put our clothes on the stove, to warm them up in the winter.
We did have indoor plumbing, but every once in a while in the winter, the water in the toilet had a thin coat of ice. Sound exciting so far?
Entertainment, was a radio and books. We eventually got a 7 inch TV with three channels, that's right 7 inch TV. Neighbors came over to watch once in a while. There were only two TVs on the whole block. We watched whatever was on, that the picture didn't roll or get all squiggly.
If you were fortunate enough to have a car, you were one of the few. The car didn't have a heater by the way.
I mentioned all of these things with fond memories. I guess by today's standards, we were poor. We didn't know we were poor, so we were happy. There were many other things, but I think you get the idea. I just want to add, that the majority of our neighbors came from living conditions that made the ones I described, seem like they hit the jackpot.
I guess I feel sorry for the people today, that have a difficult time surviving in a 10 room house, or they can't get a good signal on their cell phone.
The whole point of this message, it is not to criticize anyone, but to suggest putting things in perspective. Life doesn't have to be so stressful. You can live without one of your gadgets for a few minutes, or even a whole day. Look at your blessings just like the old-timers did. Be happy you didn't live 60 or 70 years ago. The old folks were happy they came here, and felt blessed.
Childhood memories are true. I know it's hard for some younger people to realize there were people, that lived without Internet, I phones, and I pads. But they did. Every generation has its own way to live, and the conditions they enjoy or put up with. The main point is, to realize that most of us truly are blessed, and put things in perspective.
Remember Jesus Loves You
Prayer of Salvation

My Jesus, I thank you for what you did on the cross for me. Your blood washed away all of my sins, by your stripes I was healed, and your death and resurrection brought me salvation. Forgive those sins, and come into my heart as my personal Savior. Thank you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment