Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Biblical Hope

It Is Written, Psalm 33:18, behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him, and those who hope in His mercy.
If you are familiar with the word Hope in an English dictionary, you know it is described as believing something may happen, or a desire for something to happen.
If you go to a concordance at the back of your Bible, and look at the word hope, you will find a number of verses dealing with hope. If you follow the English definition of hope, most of the verses you see will not be very comforting.
If you look at a Strongs Dictionary of Bible Words, you get a different perspective. You look up the word in English, and you get reference numbers to the Hebrew and Greek sections, with the meaning in English. Sometimes there are several meanings for the same word, and the context tells you which one applies.
Here is an example. Hope-the Hebrew and Greek meanings. Confident, sure, trust, wait patiently, assurance, expectation. Now look at the verse in it is written. I believe you will feel better about hope, in this and many other verses you read.
A few years ago, while listening to a preacher, I heard him define a word from the Greek which gave it an entirely exciting meaning in the context it was used. Shortly after that I heard a couple of other preachers refer to the Greek or original Hebrew. At that point I decided that the only way to get the true meaning out of a lot of the verses in the Bible, was to be able to look up the words in a biblical dictionary. The best thing I ever did. Well maybe not the best but close, the best was accepting Jesus as my Savior.
The power in the Greek and Hebrew words, makes quite a bit of what you read in the Bible exciting and powerful. It seems to open a whole new world in Bible reading. Check one out online or maybe at the library, and I think you'll see what I mean. In the meantime have a blessed day. Praise the Lord!
Remember Jesus Loves You
Prayer of Salvation
Lord Jesus, I thank you for what you did on the cross for me. Your blood washed away all my sins, by your stripes I was healed, your death and resurrection brought me salvation. Please forgive my sins, and come into my heart as my personal Savior.
Thank You
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment