Monday, March 23, 2015

Are You Willing?

It Is Written, Isaiah 1:19, if you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land.
I have read Isaiah at least a dozen times, and never really paid attention to this verse. I think a lot of us just think about verses that are familiar to us, and kind of ignore the rest. Some of us ignore the Old Testament itself, because in our minds it is not relevant to today, or it is too difficult or boring in many places.
I found out how much I was missing by accident. Instead of reading five or six verses, scratching your head, and saying what is that all about, go back and read and think about each verse. The Old Testament is not just directed at the ancient Hebrews, it applies to us too, if we open our hearts and let the Holy Spirit reveal it to us.
For instance, today's verse. You can come up with all kinds of situations that apply, if you listen. I'll just mention a couple of things that I thought of for starters.
Let us assume this verse is not about food. Food in this case can mean any good thing. Suppose you are out of a job. You ask God to help you find a job. Most of us realize that now we must go out and look for a job.
Before you go to an interview, ask the Holy Spirit to guide you, and give you wisdom. Then listen to His voice, and keep your mind open. God may lead you to a lesser job for right now, that in fact is training for a much better job later. He knows the plan for you, and He will get you to where you are supposed to be, but you must be willing to do it His way.
If we want what is best in our lives for us and our families, we must do that God's way too. It really doesn't make any sense to ask God for help for anything, and then do it our way. We must be willing, have faith, and trust in Him.
Remember this. Paul was the number one persecutor of Christians. He didn't just wake up one morning and say "I think I'll start being a Christian today". Paul was not doing what God's plan was for him. God woke him up on the road to Damascus. Paul then started his training a step at a time. Paul was willing to take the steps necessary, and became one of the greatest apostles in history, writing a major part of the New Testament.
You may not agree with my interpretation, but it works for me. Sometimes you need to meditate on a verse before it talks to you. Try it.  Praise the Lord!
Remember Jesus Loves You
Prayer of Salvation
Lord Jesus, I thank you for what you did on the cross for me. Your blood washed away all my sins, by your stripes I was healed, your death and resurrection brought me salvation. Please forgive my sins, and come into my heart as my personal Savior.
Thank You
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment