Friday, March 29, 2024

Why Is It Good Friday

Isaiah 53:3-5, He is despised and rejected by men, a Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed Him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But He was wounded for our transgressions. He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed.

Many people do not realize just how bad the whole process of crucifixion can be. It was the Romans’ favorite form of execution for non-Roman citizens. Let me briefly describe the process.

Before a person was crucified, it was normal practice for them to be scourged. Scourging involved a whip with nine long pieces of leather, each piece of leather had pieces of bone and even some metal embedded in it. It was a form of cat of nine tails. When a person was whipped the idea is that they would swing the whip hard enough to get the pieces of bone to penetrate the skin and then the person whipping would jerk sharply tearing skin and muscle from the poor victim’s body.

The Roman army in Israel, basically consisted of some of the worst there was. These so-called soldiers took great pleasure inflicting as much pain on the victim as they possibly could. They had it down to a science knowing how much damage they could do to the body without killing them outright. They wanted the victim to suffer as much as possible before they died.

Hebrews 12:2, Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

When I stop to think about that day, I have mixed emotions. I am horrified by what they did to Jesus, and deeply sad in my heart. At the same time I feel Joy, because of what Jesus did, I see his love. He paid a sin debt that none of us could pay and made our Salvation possible.

I believe Jesus’ life was prolonged in order to subject Him to the most humiliating, painful death possible. I also believe satan was allowed to do his worst in this ordeal. Jesus knew this would happen but He loved us so much He willingly and did it anyway. Just in case you didn’t realize it, without the crucifixion and Resurrection, salvation would not be possible, and everyone’s eternity would be in hell.

One fact that a lot of people don’t realize is true. It says in the Bible that Jesus sweat blood in the garden. Many people do not believe that that is possible. A medical condition known as hema tidrosis is the fusion of blood in perspiration, caused by extreme anguish or physical strain. Subcutaneous capillaries dilate and burst merging blood with sweat. Many people who suffered this problem died.

Another fact I say as a reminder, that Jesus knew everything that would happen to Him ahead of time so He basically suffered quite a bit before it even happened. 

Each lash was called a stripe. If you read Isaiah 53, you’ll see that by His stripes we are healed. His blood that was spilled forgave all our sins past, present, and future. He did it in our place, so we wouldn’t have to. God bless you and your family. Praise The Lord!

Remember Jesus loves you.

Prayer of Salvation.

Lord Jesus Christ, I am a sinner. I know you suffered and died on the cross and rose again in order to wash away my sins and to save me. I acknowledge my sins, and I Repent of those sins, and I ask you to come into my heart as my personal savior. I believe and I receive the gift of Salvation. Thank you, Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment