Thursday, October 19, 2023

A Lesson From Jonah

2 Chronicles 7:14, If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Many people read this verse and believe such a thing is impossible. What if I told you that such an event happened in the Old Testament?

Jonah was instructed by God to go to Nineveh and cry out to them about their wickedness, he refused and went in the opposite direction to Tarshish.

Jonah didn’t get very far, because the Lord Our God caused a great storm at sea so that the ship, he was on was in danger of sinking. Jonah finally admitted to the crew members that it was his fault because God was angry at him because he didn’t obey.

He told the crew to throw him overboard and the sea would be calm. So, they did, and the sea went calm.

When Jonah was in the water the Lord caused a great fish to swallow him. Jonah was in the fish for three days and three nights. All that time he prayed, and the Lord caused the great fish to vomit Jonah unto dry land.

Once again, the Lord told Jonah to go to Nineveh and preach to them about repenting. The king of Nineveh issued a decree that all 120,000 people and their animals do not eat or drink and be covered with sackcloth and ashes and repent continuously. This included the king and all his court.

 When God saw that they turned from their evil ways He relented and did not destroy them. At that Jonah pouted and became angry at God.

Jonah prayed. He told the Lord that he disobeyed because he knew that God would forgive them because He is merciful and loves much. He thought they deserved to be punished.

Jonah didn’t want the people of Nineveh to escape God’s wrath, so when he disobeyed, he was directly going against God’s will.  He even asked God to take him, but fortunately for him God forgave him to.

So, you see, if all Christians followed 2 Chronicles, we could have peace and not destruction in this world.  Instead of judging what is going on in this world we need to keep our two cents out of it and let God do the judging. Almighty God is the creator therefore He is the only one that can punish or forgive as He decides. Remember one important thing. Everything that happens in this world is allowed by God because it is part of His plan. If everyone prays for forgiveness that is also a part of God’s plan too. God bless you and your family. Praise The Lord!

Remember Jesus loves you.

Prayer of Salvation.

Lord Jesus Christ I am a sinner. I know you suffered and died on the cross and rose again to wash away my sins and to save me. I acknowledge my sins and Repent of those sins and I ask you to come into my heart as my personal savior. I believe and I receive the gift of salvation. Thank you, Lord Jesus. Amen. 

Praise The Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment