Tuesday, July 12, 2022

My Time With Jesus Tuesday

The Unforgiving Servant

Matthew 6:14-15, For if you forgive others their offenses, your Heavenly Father will forgive you as well. But if you don't forgive others, your Father will not forgive your offenses.

In ancient cultures, including Biblical times, sin was considered a debt to God. To make a point, Jesus taught  the parable of the unforgiving servant. He used this Parable because people knew about debt being sin..

I  do not know if the people Jesus was teaching got the message or not. I suspect that most did not. If not, why not?

One of the problems then was the same problem we have today, that is we do not see ourselves as sinners. How many times have you or someone you know said, my “God this or my God that”?

The truth is, if we are breathing, we are sinning. We are judged by God’s standards, not ours or the fictitious God we create in our minds to justify our sin. We build mountains of debt to God in the form of sin.

God sent Jesus to pay our debt, because we could not. That gift of love and forgiveness is quickly forgotten. Our gratitude, even if it was genuine at the time of forgiveness, fades away in a very short time, and we incur more debt.

The sad thing is, if someone does something to us, or says something against us, our self-righteousness comes out. We are prepared to be angry and seek revenge, no matter how long it takes. Can you see how the parable is as true today as it was then? 

Just in case you are not familiar with the parable that I mentioned, read the following from 

Matthew 18 23-35, Jesus said for this reason, the Kingdom of Heaven can be compared to a King who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. When he began to settle accounts one who owed him ten thousand talents was brought before him. Since he did not that have the money to pay it back his master commanded that he and his wife, his children and everything he had be sold to pay the debt. At this the servant fell face-down before him and said, be patient with me and I will pay you everything. Then the master had compassion, released him, and forgave him the loan.

 That servant went out and found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denari. he grabbed him, started choking him, and said, Pay What You owe!  At this his fellow servant fell down and began begging him. Be patient with me and I will pay you back. But he wasn't willing. Instead he went and threw him into prison until he could pay what he owed.

When the other servants saw what had taken place, they were deeply distressed and went and reported to their Master everything that had happened. Then after he had summoned him, his master said to him. You wicked servant! I forgave you all that because you begged me. Shouldn't you also have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you? And because he was angry, his Master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured until he could pay everything that was owed. So also my Heavenly Father will do to you unless everyone of you forgives gives his brother or sister from your heart.

God bless you and your family. 

Praise The Lord!

Remember Jesus loves you.

Prayer of Salvation.

Lord Jesus, please forgive all of my sins, and come into my heart as my personal savior. I want to serve only you. 

Praise The Lord!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment